Old 12-27-20, 06:55 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
UPDATE--After a good long ride on the Fuji this morning, I got home and dear wife said I could use the kitchen island for working on the free wheel so long as I leave the bike outside and put cardboard down first. Put the old Giant on the stand and pulled the rear wheel. Knocked the lock ring loose with a punch and hammer, didn't take much, and then removed the free wheel. Since I had everything out I went ahead and pulled the hub axle and cleaned it up and repacked and pre-loaded the bearings. Never rolled so smooth. Then headed inside where it's warm and dry and proceeded to take free wheel apart. I did it over an old terry cloth towel so the bearings wouldn't roll away. (I should have let them go-they were just little brown balls of rust) There wasn't any grease left in it. I cleaned it all up outside with brake cleaner and found a bunch of bearings in a peanut butter jar in the bottom of a rubbermaid full of old parts. They were shiny and close in size (at least to the naked eye). Packed em in with some good marine grease and 30 wt on the pawls and springs. Looks like a new free wheel and now it works like a new free wheel! Threw the bike back together and fine tuned the brakes and rear derailleur and took it out for a spin. Smooth and quiet. The Giant is my foul weather bike so now I know this is going to be a regular maintenance thing. Thanks dedhed, the pics in that old link were invaluable!
Likes For Bigbus: