Old 01-01-21, 11:29 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 1,122 Times in 482 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
From time to time, I am at the track in Carson, CA and Team USA Paralympic is training. I walk into the track and see a racer on the track going really fast and then realize he only had one leg. It seems that all the blood oxygen that is available goes to the remaining leg and we know it does not take much strength to make a lot of power.

Even more amazing are the guys with one arm that do a standing start out of the starting gate and look fast. Try starting a bike in a big gear with one arm and then drop to the aerobars. Or better yet, do not try that at home.

On Fiesta Island, I see Team USA para members training. I was on my TT bike at 25 mph and there was a Team USA guy ahead on a hand cycle. He was doing maybe 24 mph because when I passed him it took some time. Once again, all the blood oxygen and heart rate are available to the arms for power generation. It is matter of training and getting enough strength to make the power.

My take away is the differences in left and right leg strength capability do not matter for power generation since blood flow / oxygen will be channeled to the stronger or less fatigues leg or arm. Accuracy of power measurement is a different matter.
I've spoken before about my friend, a cycling coach, who had years of power data before a crash that eventually led to the amputation of one leg above the knee. It took a couple of years of arduous training but eventually he matched and then exceeded his pre-amputation FTP. He doesn't worry about L/R asymmetry. He can't "pedal circles" or "pull up" or "scrape the bottom of the pedal stroke." If he tried, he'd yank the prosthetic off his stump. All he can do is stomp with his prosthetic, so he stomps down hard, and all he pays attention to is total power, not separate L/R power.
Likes For RChung: