View Single Post
Old 01-05-21, 09:42 AM
pennpaul

Bikes: Diamondback Haanjo Trail, Fuji Team Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 46 Posts
Many things I've read is that it could be the water. We have well water in our house back in the US which goes through a brine tank and then a UV light. That house also has a front loader but I always leave the door open after we're done washing clothes so it dries out. I've also run some bleach only rinses through it. I do not know what our water source is here in Central America, but we are advised to not drink from the tap so I'd imagine it can't be better than back in the US.

I did look through reviews of the Lysol product. I can't buy it locally but Amazon will ship it to me. However, many people are reporting getting hives after coming in contact with their clean clothes. The same thing has happened to me using the local laundry detergent marked as hypoallergenic (this never happened before) so I am not going to risk it. It's a miserable experience when it happens. After one of my rides here, I had hives that matched the shape of my bib shorts.

The Lysol product is added during the rinse step and allowed to sit for almost 20 minutes so I'm going to give that a try with vinegar. I'd been adding the vinegar at the beginning of the wash with no soaking but it makes sense to do this at a later step and allow it to sit. First I'm going to separately soak the offending clothes in a vinegar solution, and then put them in the washer. I've never washed clothes with bleach for fear of discoloring them but I'll have to research that as a backup.

Thanks,
Paul