Old 01-11-21, 12:26 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,917 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
30 years in clinical research makes all helmet superiority claims seem pretty airy to me, but 33 years in clinical neurology makes me buy MIPS. Wavecell looks too hot.
+1. My experience with clinical neurology was as a patient. Early Lambert owner who experienced the fork failure - going most of 35 mph. Coma, CAT scan (1977 when those computerized felines still carried the letter "A"). Since then it has taken very little to hit my head hard enough for another concussion.. I've even received them from hard body slams,no head contact. (Slightly different dynamic but I call it "NFL loose brain syndrome". Pretty sure those linemen would get what I'm saying right away.)

2013 I had a nasty spill. Hit my head hard. (Fully conscious and aware in real time what was happening until my brain decided I didn't need to witness the bones breaking and the rest. As soon as I came to a stop, I was fully conscious. The following car was right where it should be. So, what made this crash so interesting in terms of this discussion was the complete lack of concussion despite hitting my head hard. (Real damage to the helmet that matched my memory.) But I apparently hadn't tightened my chinstrap. Helmet twisted near off, carrying off my glasses (and cutting my face with them). Nearly took off my opposing ear.

A fellow cyclist happened to be behind me and witnessed everything. Had some emergency training. Walked me around (though I hardly needed his physical support. I had busted collarbone and ribs and knew it but I could walk just fine.) Questioned me and found me completely coherent.

A couple of week later I read about MIPS. The concept of the helmet slipping, Yes! My helmet slipped badly and I walked away with zero concussion to this NFL brain! I'm on. Get me one! Took over a year but I bought the first visibly colored MIPS helmet that fit. Haven't crashed it yet (and presume I have frustrated Murphy; a good indication that it works).