Old 01-17-21, 06:31 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Your dire predictions notwithstanding, if that cyclist was going to get nailed, it probably would have happened already.
Perhaps. Likely, he's probably pretty good at it by now. Who knows. But in a fight between a 30lb bike plus rider against a 4500lb vehicle + driver ... my quarter's on the car. If the "wrong" situation arises and he still takes the shot, due to his being "so good at this by now," ...

... but I can still blast through a standing red if the cross traffic is right.
Sure. Wasn't about your situations. Was about the "out of nowhere" situation described above. Different animals.

I'm with you, on the "perfect" opportunity, where there are clear sight lines and little to no risk. It's unlikely someone taking that chance (if can even be called "chance") when all's well and traffic-less at an intersection is going to result in a crash or worse. Reference to this sort of thing is even in the driving laws, at least in the U.S. (with heading through a red light, for example, though only after stopping as required).

What surprises me is that it surprises you that more cyclists don't get hit. Why should that be? You've got the same eyes. The same ears. Use them. Free your mind and your bike will follow.
Have them. Use them. But in the situation described earlier, I also don't ride or drive like a self-important egotistical idiot without regard for those around me. Not saying you do. I don't. And likely 95% or better of those we witness "blowing through" an intersection also don't. But those types do exist, irrespective of the rest of us having eyes, ears and, apparently, closed minds.

Again, the situation being describe earlier and commented on by others was different. Not the idyllic different circumstances you're describing in other situations.