Old 11-26-19, 07:53 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Safety tip
Originally Posted by rydabent
If needing to cross an intersection twice to get to the opposite corner, always do it in the clock wise direction.

That way you will always be facing on coming traffic. They will not be coming up behind you
Originally Posted by Daniel4
That's when you're walking your bike in the pedestrian zone, right?

If you're riding your bike through the intersection, stay in the car lane..
Originally Posted by mr_bill
I'm assuming walking, but it's not ALWAYS.

This works on a conventional two road intersection where each road is two-way. Where people drive on the left you'll want to walk anti-clockwise to cross to the pavement on the opposite corner.

Some intersections have a pedestrian scramble, where traffic is stopped in all directions and pedestrians can cross diagonally.

But for two road intersections with one-way roads (much of Manhattan), it's six of one/half a dozen of the other. On average, 1/2 the time you'll cross with traffic at your back on one leg, 1/4 the time you'll cross with traffic at your back on both legs, and 1/4 the time you'll cross facing traffic on two legs.

(Pretty much only half the people are walking up on the odds and down on the evens, or walking east on the odds and west on the evens.

I doubt you will find ANYBODY who goes out of their way to walk that way though. Most taxi drivers are going the right way though. But look both ways, because not all taxi drivers.)

But then there is BOSTON, where we just dump n-roads into an intersection. (Think of walking through a six way intersection with five stop signs.)

Or Rochester, where three stroads make twelve corners.

-mr. bill
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
With all due respect, what does this mean? You can't legally face oncoming traffic for the bulk of ones riding so why make exceptions? Consistency is more important that personal perceptions of safety.

As a pedestrian in the same situation I first cross the street that has the green light! Why would I wait through an additional light cycle just so I can make the double cross in a particular direction?

What I can't see, I can hear. I am not at anymore of an advantage traveling against traffic as with it.
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I cannot even picture what this thread is about.
Originally Posted by Daniel4
It's about crossing the street.
Originally Posted by trailangel
Straight from the Bent Nanny
With all due respect to the oft-maligned @rydabent, I think he makes an interesting observation that I've not thought about personally. In any case, though I probably always subconsciously worry about rearward up-coming traffic, I wear a rearview mirror.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 11-26-19 at 08:43 AM.