View Single Post
Old 06-18-15, 06:51 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I've been riding a century every month for several years now, doing an occasional tour, but most of my riding is commuting and just getting places. All my rides start or end at home.

I've wanted to get into randonneuring for a few years and finally got around to joining RUSA this year. For my first brevet I borrowed my wife's car, but for the others I decided I'd ride to the start. That worked okay for a 300k ride that started less than ten miles from home, but the next one, a 400k, I did not finish, quitting after 200 miles.
There were several reasons I quit, among which a major factor was that I could get a ride home if i quit at that point, whereas if I finished the ride, probably well after midnight, I'd still have to ride home.

I started a thread in the randonneuring forum asking whether there are any car free randonneurs, and the general consensus was that if it's possible to be a car free randonneur anywhere I the US, I should be able to do it where I live.

But it's not easy. If I was going to take this sport seriously, I would have to buy a car.

Last edited by rhm; 06-18-15 at 07:35 AM.