View Single Post
Old 03-27-17, 04:16 AM
badmother

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kef.tang
As my first build started at 24 kg is was getting very heavy with the extra bars and handles that I added later. Plus storage was pain when not in use and so Build 1.0 is now dismantled.

Base bike is a Tern Link D8 Folding bike. Very easy to store and the wheels are 20".
Build 2.0 is lighter (18kg) more compact and more suitable for the city use.
Extra supports added as original pannier rack was not very strong. (Yes the board is not straight. Intend to replace when found.)

I have yet to test if it will be allowed/permitted on to the underground tube trains. Yes it is a folding bike but not a normal one.
Nice work! I gave up on mine becouse I was determined to have the wideloaders, and to do it without welding. Health issues stopped me for some time plus my needs changed. Still thinking of building one just becouse..

It is a alu bike with a welded on hinge so keep an eye on the frame and hinge

You can carry plenty stuff on that bike in four regular paniers at the back (unless you get heal strike) and two in the front plus top of the rack. Nice!

Around here they take regular bikes if there is space but you pay a fee, you could bag it and call it a bike in that case.

Folding bikes (traveling for free) they often have a max folded size. This is why I liked the detatchable bike I started with (still have two of them). You can split it in two and call it two pieces of luggage. There is nothing like "one folder free per person" in the rules that I have seen but some have max size on luggage and three pieces of luggage pr person. It all depends on the rules, the driver/personel and if the bus/train is crowded.