Old 09-17-18, 06:18 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Viich
I understand that some places there just isn't a good way to get there in the winter by bike, just suggesting that there may be a better route than you think - I dodge around through several neighbourhoods on my way to the bridge that I wouldn't have found without the map I linked below - they're generally plowed fairly well but are very low traffic. My winter route is a little shorter than my summer at 16-18km depending on which bridge I take, but with a lot more stopping, and at winter speeds is normally about 15-30 min longer than biking in the summer.

The map of winter cycling routes in Ottawa that I mentioned : bikeottawa winter bike map

Bike Ottawa winter cycling page
My 'Summer' route is actually the shortest possible route between my house and my work. On the Québec side, I'm on MUP/bike lane once I reach La Verendrye but once I switch to Ottawa, beside the Rideau River Eastern pathway, I'm mostly on low traffic road (may be I'm passed by zero to three cars the whole Ottawa route once I leave Sussex) but that also means those roads are not really well plowed during Winter. Better plowed roads would mean higher traffic and nope, not for me, especially during Winter.