View Single Post
Old 06-27-19, 10:00 AM
OneIsAllYouNeed

Bikes: Chinook travel/gravel/family tandem, Chinook all-road, Motobecane fatbike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
One reason I'm concerned is that my frame has canti posts placed for 700c rims. I'm not 100% clear on the lateral and radial clearances, but I'm pretty sure I can't fit a 650 wheel unless I do cosmetic surgery on the frame and fork to relocate the brake pivots. I'm planning to use the Berto chart to see how wide I can fit.
Our old tandem was a Trek T200 with 700c canti posts. It could*safely* fit a 700c x 32mm tire, but we sometimes used 35-37mm. We stuffed 650b x ~50mm tires into it. For the rear brake, I used a Diacompe 990 U-brake on a U-brake adapter plate. It was mounted underneath the seatstays to avoid interference with the 700c canti posts. It was a bit of a kludge, but it got the job done. For the front, we got a disc fork. We've since given that bike away (with 700c wheels and cantilever brakes), but I think I have that U-brake setup in a box somewhere. I've attached an image of the U-brake with the 700c rim still installed.

990 U-brake for 650b rim installed on Trek T200