View Single Post
Old 08-20-19, 04:45 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Last ride 76
Funny, my experience seems to be the reverse of most folks.. Bitd, I had nine effective gears. The only one I can say for sure I never used was small/small. Large/large meant not having to drop to the small ring (anethema in my teeny rigid racer's mind). Who couldn't get up hills in a 52-21? It didn't make grinding sounds, perhaps because it got used relatively often, also the Ron Cooper rear triangle was famously rigid. I imagine that I used the small ring, living as I did at the top of a 500 climb in southern VT, and doing lots of hilly training and racing, but I can't say for sure.
Now, I have so many gears on some of my bikes, I don't know what to do with them all,* so I just don't bother with the 2 extreme cross chained gears. Not because they're noisy, though they might be. I just have no reason to.

Eric

*my most modern is an 02 Lemond Zurich and it's got 20.
Originally Posted by Jobst Brandt
When I was "young and beautiful" I used a 47-50 because I started on 5-speed half step and never changed, not using the small chainwheel but rarely.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498