View Single Post
Old 09-22-20, 05:53 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
It's unlikely you've gained any muscle at all. You may have cut some subcutaneous fat, so there's the appearance of increased musculature. And as I and others have pointed out-- you're very new. Everybody sees real (and perceived) gains in the first few months as their body adapts. You are absolutely not going to gain muscle in the upper body on a bicycle. Look at any pro. They're scarecrows. Look at any track cyclist... oh, that's right-- they spend as much time in the gym as they do on the bike.

Trying to sustain that kind of training load indefinitely is gonna catch up with you-- ask me how I know.
You footnoted "typically" , but I think you really can't generalize validly from your experience. I don't think trained athletes are going to be the only exceptions to your general rule. I have been at this for years, riding a number of miles that is very similar to yours, do absolutely no working out on my leg muscles other than bike during riding season and elliptical machine in the winter. I put on huge muscle mass in my thighs and calfs and kept it on for years. Where I'm sure you and I are different is in our gearing choices. I ride habitually in the highest gears and do so while riding for miles at 20-25 mph on the flat. I also probably take hills on much higher gears than average. This is basically a hybrid between resistance and cardio training. I doubt many people can and will do that, but it does tend to make statements like yours really inconsistent with my experience.