View Single Post
Old 09-30-20, 08:25 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1

I have never had the problem that Cyccocommute reports, but maybe testing out the filter before a trip if it hasn't been used for a long time might be a good idea as well. That or just carry an unused spare (3 ounces).
I’ve heard it all before and will 20/20 hindsight, I probably should have tested it but why would I suspect any problem? I used it once in clear water to filter a couple of liters of water at the most. In my mind, it was a new filter and should have functioned just like it did the first time. If I had used it for many gallons of water, I might have suspected something or thought it needed a back flush but it had only been lightly used.

As for carrying a spare, again, why would I suspect that I would need to? I have carried ceramic filters and never had to think about testing them before I took them on a trip. If they worked before, they would work again. I look at the element before I store them and replace it if needed...only had to do that once. A spare one is another $40 as well.

My point is a cautionary tale for people who are considering the Sawyer. If you buy one, most certainly test it before you use it, especially if it has been stored for an extended period. Since mine failed I have seen other people reporting the same thing. But, as with my experience, they only discovered the problem when they needed the filter to function.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!