View Single Post
Old 01-14-20, 09:16 PM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 193 Posts
Interesting few days

First, finally pulled out most of my packed away bike parts and started to get organized at my new house. Doesn't look like much but it was great to figure all the stuff I already own. Found out that I already had a set of chainrings that I recently bought.

Yesterday, this Dura-Ace derailleur attempted to kill me while I was test riding my Patrick Mahomie bike around. Broke off while I was standing and shifting.

Luckily because I had pulled out all those parts this weekend, I knew I had an old Shimano 600 derailleur that fit. It was the original to the bike, but it was super rusty and grimey. 30 mins with a wire brush and steel wool later and I had this. It's late when I took the pic but it's shiny and surprisingly works perfect with the 10spd drivetrain.

Current state, you can see why it's my Chiefs bike. Trued both wheels and cleaned the brakes for good measure after changing the derailleur.