Old 06-16-20, 08:43 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
The option to delete a thread is gone?
Originally Posted by deux jambes
Has anyone else noticed this? Must be a recent change. And a ridiculous one at that.
Originally Posted by Charles Wahl
It's the cognate to Google, by default, keeping every piece of email you ever sent or received through them, even after you delete it -- and including it in the "storage" of that account...

Nothing you ever did on the internet ever goes away (despite the difficulty of finding it again when you want to), and it seems that our (or Big Brother's) propensity for keeping every piece of crap has no practical limitation, in terms of data storage.
On a Living Car Free thread was a dust-up about deleting threads with (others') past posts.
Originally Posted by Machka
You're right, I did start a thread like that.
You're also right that you could not find it.
I deleted it.
Originally Posted by Roody
I contributed to that thread, my thoughts and ideas that I took some time to type out. How dare you delete the thread without permission of those who contributed?

I think this is outrageous. You have no right! How were you able to even do that?
Originally Posted by winston63
I've got to admit I find it very surprising that a thread starter can delete a thread…

To be honest I'm not all that comfortable with the thought that a thread starter can just delete someone's contribution at will.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
So if may pose this question, What is the value or utility to you of looking up old posts/threads? I would assume that any useful information would be utilized soon after reading.

Early on after joining Bike Forums I copied and filed a few posts for their content and style, but not for years.
...you do realise that everything you post here is temporary, right? I've been here long enough for there to be several server changes during which time posts were lost. And it won't be long before this forum disappears entirely ... say, maybe, 5 years or 10 years.

If you think what you typed had some "Voice of God" like value, you should have saved a copy of it..
Comments on a forum, like life, are merely temporary. Like Rowan says ... discussions here are like those which might occur in a pub. They aren't doctoral theses.

However, if there are comments I make which I think I might use again, I save them in a file. Then I copy and paste them into threads as desired….
Originally Posted by cooker
I too am shocked that an OP can delete a thread. Sometimes I consult past threads for research I or others have previously done on some topic under discussion; and sometimes I see posts that are very well written and thought out and I would go as far as saying they are literary contributions that deserve to be archived for posterity…
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
When old posts/threads are looked up and commented on by one poster, it gives another poster on LCF an opportunity to bellyache about referencing so-called zombie threads.

Such earnest complaints are always entertaining.
˅˅˅˅

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 06-16-20 at 10:22 AM. Reason: addeed quote by Charles Wahl