Old 07-10-20, 04:56 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Not to call anyone out but what is SPF clothing? Isn't all cloth sunblocking?

I do prefer light weight, long sleeve, hi vis shirts but put sunscreen on the back of my neck
Not all cloth is dense enough to prevent UVA and UVB from reaching the skin, and have various capabilities at long-term protection. Keep in mind that the UV spectrum is outside the human eye's perception without technological aids. Just because clothing is opaque in visible light does not mean it is opaque to UV light. I'd venture that almost all modern opaque shorts are dense enough to block the sun, but with jerseys YMMV. Knits are problematic in that they stretch, possibly allowing UV transmission. Loose weaves have the same problem. A wet cotton t-shirt (a knit) will provide a UPF of 3, or for every 3 units of radiation, one is reaching your skin, basically a 66% reduction in harmful UV over no protection whatsoever. UPF of 50 is a 98% reduction.

More reading if you're interested.
Likes For Unca_Sam: