View Single Post
Old 08-14-20, 12:39 PM
BoraxKid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
If that's what you are after then the easiest thing to do would be to do a '9 of 10 on 7'. In other words, use a 10 speed drive train, but omit the smallest cog of the 10 speed cassette- turning it into a 9 speed cassette, which will fit onto the 7 speed freehub body.
I'm aware that I could do a 9-of-10 setup, but for reasons I won't bother to explain, I'm not going to take that approach. I'm going to try re-spacing an OEM 126 mm wheel to fit the larger cassette.

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
You can also do what you are doing and narrow a 130mm hub and re-dish. But keep in mind that you are re-dishing in the 'wrong' direction- you are exacerbating the asymmetrical spoke tension.
Yes, this is probably my back-up plan, even though I really don't want to go this route. Also, as I said in my earlier posts, I have seen nothing to confirm that there actually is a 'wrong' direction for re-dishing. Plenty of asymmetrical wheels exist in the bicycle component market, and my plans should require only a slight adjustment of the wheel dish. I've read plenty of posts that say I will be 'weakening' the wheel, but none provide a quantitative explanation, nor do they provide rigorous test results that show any real danger to this approach. I fully expect that by careful management of spoke tension, the wheel will not be significantly weakened by re-dishing to accommodate the longer cassette. If all goes well, I will find out if I'm right somewhere in the next 12 months.