Old 12-28-20, 11:14 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,714 Times in 1,034 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Wrong, it is the other way around.... more air volume is a poor substitute for an inadequate taping job.

If the bead is loose enough on the rim that it requires the method you described (futzing with the tire as air continues to blast through), I would not ride that setup. It is too loose and will be too prone to burping or blowing off..... which previous generations of Compass tires were known for. I have a current generation of the Barlow Pass, and while I did use a compressor to seat them, they snap in place with the first initial blast a second or two at most.

Yes, it does sometimes take extra time to get the tape right for certain tire/rim combos. But that is what is required to do it properly. If the tape required to seat the bead is so much that the bead won't seat properly..... that is a bad tire-rim combo and IMO is unsafe (older Compass tires with some rims, for example). The fact that you are able to force it to seat without enough tape does not change that.

However, the reality is that in all the tubeless setups I have done (well over a dozen) I have never changed the tape setup. In retrospect, I should have in one case (the Maxxis mentioned below)

Ideally, you don't even need a compressor for a well-fitting tubeless setup (that includes being properly taped), at least not for typical MTB tires. I went 8 years and a dozen tubeless setups before I ever even needed to use a compressor to set a bead. I did use one for my fat tires and my Barlow Pass Tires, and one 2.3" Maxxix MTB tire that I was not tubeless ready. I now know that with proper taping, I could have set that Maxxis with a floor pump, and I will likely go back and fix that. But in ALL cases, the tire snapped into place immediately with a compressor.
I don’t follow your logic on most of this, nor agree with your conclusions.

If a bead doesn’t seat properly, the tire ain’t on right, so that’s a non-issue here, regardless of amount of tape.

If the beads snap in with a bit of wrangling and air, that’s just as fine and good as if there was more tape intereference, because once seated, the amount of tape in the rim bed doesn’t matter...the tape does nothing other than to help seat the bead (and seal spoke holes) by retaining enough air to get the bead up on the shelf and into the rim hooks. Tape is not responsible for, nor a requirement, for bead retention in the hooks.

Again, some rims require no tape, and some rims have no hooks, so I’d encourage you to re-evaluate your assessment of the role of tape in tubeless setup.