View Single Post
Old 08-22-19, 11:48 PM
Tulok

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by robbyville
Great advice thank you! For shifters I had the first series of 600 brifters on. I forget what year they were but i was working for a shop at the time and it was definitely first gen 600. Seems though that something must have happened over the years because it has one original and the rear shifting is now a Claris 8spd. Definitely drivetrain will be swapped out as I find parts but I’m thinking I’d keeping the race face cranks, don’t see too many of those.

im hoping to start disassembly and clean up this weekend. Thoughts on cleaning the chrome?
Bummer about the shifter! I have 1st gen 600’s on my bike and they didn’t work AT ALL when I got them. All it was, was dried grease inside the mechanism. Very common and known issue on those.

Chrome:
Aluminum foil balled up with some light oil on it Or 0000 (quadruple zero) steel wool with light oil. Rub gently and go back-forth, up-down, diagonal-diagonal, repeat. The rust will begin to disappear. Then clean with s light degreaser, then wax (imho that works best.).

The crankset does look amazing I will say! I hope you can find a nice quill stem for it somewhere.