Old 10-10-19, 12:09 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Continental UltraSport, supposedly their low range tire but nice low rolling resistance and pretty durable IMO. So far. Apparently Continental traded off puncture resistance for the lower price and lower rolling resistance - which is perfect if you don't have many flats.
Yeah, conti's cheap tires are amazingly good, fast, light. Their more expensive tires have better puncture resistance, but I've never had puncture problems with their the UltraSport.

Originally Posted by wipekitty
Continental Grand Prix 4000S2 are a nice fast tire. I haven't tried the newer model, GP 5000, but I assume they are similar. GP 5000 comes in sizes up to 32; 4000S2 tops out at 28, but the tires run a bit wide (my 23s fit more like 25s).

I commute and road ride on these with few problems; my rides are on paved roads and paths with the usual potholes and mild debris like leaves, sand, litter, and the occasional broken glass. Some riders complain about weak sidewalls, so they are probably not the best choice if your commute takes you through gravel/other unpaved surfaces or areas with lots of debris.
Yeah, the 4000 and 5000 are pretty similar - the biggest difference is the new tire goes up to 32mm, and is available tubeless.

For what it is worth, the 28mm GP4000 is sized right between the GP5000 28mm and 32mm. on my wheels. I have a bike I can't fit the old 28mm on, but the new one fits fine. (my 28mm GP4000 are between 30-31mm depending on the rim and tire pressure, my 32mm 5000 is at 33mm, while the 28mm 5000 is just over 28mm.).

The tubless version is a bit tougher with thicker threads and more rubber casing - but it has to be on a tubless compatible hook bead rim or you may never get the d*mn thing to mount. It is impossible to get that thing on the wrong rim. Super tight bead on that thing.

Certainly the T-serve is a better rounded commuter - longer lasting and a bit tougher. Not quite as fast though.
Likes For chas58: