View Single Post
Old 07-22-19, 03:58 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
Originally Posted by Cycle Tourist
If the FD works with the two big rings, adding a granny "should" work as well. Why change the BB? If it's because the granny will rub on the frame then I get it. FYI sometimes getting a longer BB axle will push the big ring beyond the ability of the FD to reach and then your either looking for a FD that works, going back to the double or looking for just the right size BB axle. Sometimes it's easy, sometimes it ain't.
i'm sure the FD will work with a triple being of the cyclone family. by the eye, it just doesn't appear to be enough room to accommodate a granny without stay rub. i'll try, but i've got a choice of spindles of the same era that should have the right length, though; two SR's and a sugino. and, i understand what you're saying regarding pushing the spider arm out. i've run into that before on my wife's mixte

so, is your SLT a 56cm, too? mine is and had to adjust the saddle fore/aft differently than my usual position. it's about a 1cm forward. it's great, though, because even with the typical short insertion of the SR quills, the frame being taller than my usual means i can actually get the saddle to bar height nice and even without riser trickery!