gregmacc

Bikes: ... too many ...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mev
Do you enjoy touring in Tassie? Some suggestions in similar vein:

The "edges" of North America have often been my favorites.
- On the Alaska Panhandle, taking the ferry to Haines and then cycling over the coastal range to Haines Junction, Whitehorse and back to Skagway to catch the ferry back. This pushes your 35 miles/day and there are bears but otherwise one of my favorite trips. With six weeks, I would then combine with other destinations in British Columbia/Washington/Oregon including: the San Juan Islands (haven't been but good reports), perhaps Vancouver Island and otherwise parts of the northern Pacific Coast in Washington and Oregon. Some areas with traffic but overall not too bad. Also ideal time to visit this area.
- Atlantic Canada also among my favorites. Nova Scotia well set up for tourists with various "trails" to ride. The Cabot Trail is more famous for cycling, but also areas along various parts of the coast. PEI isn't large - but has some good cycle places to visit. Newfoundland was more rugged when I visited - and less touristy - which is it's own charm. I also enjoyed cycling along coast of New Brunswick in cross-Canada trip. Maine also gets pretty interesting once you get off US1 and down into some of the peninsulas. Weather is ok, though early in summer does have potential for obnoxious black flies.

For six weeks combining together routes in either Pacific Northwest or Atlantic Canada has a lot to offer and this is the right time weather-wise to visit. You can dial it more towards the tame (e.g. PEI) or more towards the rugged (e.g. L'Anse aux Meadows up in Newfoundland) depending on preferences.
Thanks for the suggestions Mev ... We have only been to Tasmania once ... In 1980 on a motorcycle tour of the island (caught the overnight ferry from Melbourne) ... fantastic experience. The thing about Tassie is that many of the best places to see are relatively remote and/or mountainous. I'm not saying it's a bad choice for bicycle touring, and many people do so quite happily, just something like that is probably more challenging than we are looking for this time around.
The softer options of Atlantic Canada look interesting and I will investigate the area some more.
Is it bear country? ... we are nervous about bears ...
Can you/anyone else tell us more about the black flies? ... how to protect against them?
What would be a good fly-in point to that area (we would be coming from Sydney)?