View Single Post
Old 01-31-20, 09:30 PM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
the ferry no longer runs out of Portland but out of Bar Harbor instead.

if you do find yourself in Maine feel free to contact me anytime.

Originally Posted by mev
Thanks for the Tassie comparison. I've been there bicycle touring twice. Once a four-week loop in 2001 and before that eight days in 1998. There were a mixture of more remote bits in the west as well as Port Arthur, Hobart and places east. So that gives me a reference point...

Based on that, I would take Newfoundland off the list, but think Nova Scotia and PEI are worth consideration. I don't know more about bears than what Google tells me. I didn't have an impression it was much of an issue when I went - and also didn't notice anything, though a search told me otherwise. I am still under impression a lot less bears than in Alaska/Northern BC/Yukon where I have seen plenty...

Halifax is the largest airport in the region and where I would start looking for flights. I've flown out of it once with my bike and perhaps it was my route selection but getting into Halifax and to the airport was pretty busy on my bike. On that trip I had started in the US and taken an overnight ferry from Portland, Maine. Those ferrys seem to change around every so often so may be something else now.

I recall black flies as being pretty small and their initial bite isn't as bad as the itch/inflammation they seem to cause. I find them more obnoxious that mosquitoes. Folks living closer to the area can comment more - I'm mostly a tourist who has enjoyed my travels through the area, many of which have been outside black fly season.
Likes For PedalingWalrus: