Old 02-05-21, 04:56 PM
hsuBM
jj

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
I'm surprised Strava didn't smooth that out for you. You did specify bike rides, and not a walk or a run, right? A cycling GPS would smooth that right out, and probably keep you on the street (although that's less certain).

Anyhow, your tracks are a great illustration of why you'll get better accuracy with a well-calibrated wheel sensor than with a GPS.
Yeah, it’s always left on bike-mode. How does one go about calibrating a wheel sensor?

I was kinda using Strava to calibrate my Padrone computer, I thought. I guess I should reset the Padrone back to the appropriate tire circumference and just trust it over Strava?

Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
while drunk maybe (G)
You got me. My breakfast is typically steel cut oatmeal washed down with a bottle and a half of Winking Owl. I probably could cut it back to just one bottle, then I’d have two whole bottles left over for lunch!

Originally Posted by surak
GPS signal can be erroneous especially in urban valleys (after all, it was designed to get missiles to hit the right spot in less dense environments that you'd expect have strategic value, not the corner coffee shop downtown across from the other coffee shop that you don't want to take out).

Your phone GPS could also be messed up, either software or hardware. I know I've had phones that needed rebooting to properly acquire more accurate coordinates. I've also read accounts of people whose GPS antenna broke or were faulty, usually a manufacturing flaw making them flimsier than you'd expect.

Also, nothing could be wrong other than you started moving before it locked on to enough satellites to give you better accuracy. Happened a lot with my Garmin Edge 520, if I started moving before it acquired a lock, it'd trace a drunken trajectory as it made a best effort to guess without enough signals.
It’s relatively flat on this route, and although the first two screenshots are of an area with a 200-300 foot (?) hill/ridge bordering one side there’s tons of cell and two-way radio towers all around town... the third screenshot is right near a lake and it is f l a t for a seven mile radius.

It seems very probable that my over-app’d, old, beaten-to-heck phone would benefit from having all unused apps shut down and do a full reboot before setting out on the recorded rides.

Thanks, folks!