Revoltingest
Widely Despised

Bikes: Dahon Helios, Dahon P8, Bike Friday tandem, Ingo, Trek, Columbia, Helix

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
If the weight is a huge concern, I am sure that bike people will come up with aftermarket alternatives. Brompton has an entire industry around it to shave weight off that hefty folder. Someone will market carbon seatposts and other pretty bits to get the weight down a pound or two. At the price on kickstarter I'm guessing the rims are not the lightest ones out there, either, or the brakes. It's all about the frame, and component swapping is half the fun. My BF was 22 lbs and I've swapped stuff and dropped 3 lbs; granted I went from steel to titanium and ya'll will be going from titanium to carbon. Get the bikes, ride 'em, then tweak 'em and post back all the goodness!
Over a year ago, I considered some weight saving ideas. I found lighter rims (BMX), but the
cost didn't justify the small weight savings. Same for cassette, brake levers, spokes, seat, etc.
The manufacturer's selection started to look like a pretty good balance of weight, cost &
performance. Of course, opinions will vary.
Besides, I plan to add fenders, Ergon GP3 grips, Topeak Mondopack Hydro seat bag with
tools, supplies & water. And then there's that big old Thudbuster I'll have on it sometimes.
Going a little overboard adding junk, eh.
Spending big $ to save a little weight seemed silly.
But maybe I'll become more obsessive later.