View Single Post
Old 03-17-18, 04:12 PM
Suza

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Crossroads Sport, 2018 Specialized Women's Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by M83
Hi all,
I am 5'7" (170cm) with 32" inseam (81cm) and I think I have the same problem (short torso - long legs). I also have the same bike (CAAD). I ride a 52, should I have gone for the 50???

I am an athletic 65-year female with very much the same physiology. My arms are in proportion with my long legs which I impacts fit as well. I am currently riding a Specialized Crossroads Sport with a size M step-through frame which I believe is proportioned for women riders (correct me if I'm wrong). I feel like a 52 frame should be right for me; I have always had a better fit with a women's frame. Curious to hear what others have to say, from experience, as I am looking to upgrade my bike.

I like the versatility of my CR, but am not happy with the performance of the rim brakes. I would also prefer a bike with 2x gearing instead of the 3x8 on my bike; I rarely use the large chain ring and 2x chain ring would be much simpler. Consequently, I am looking for a road/trail bike with disc brakes, flat handlebars, a semi-upright riding position, and women's geometry (not necessarily step-through). So far, I have not been successful. I want to purchase from my favorite LBS which sells Specialized, so I have not looked outside that brand. I rode a Sirrus and like the ride, but it isn't suitable for off-road with 700x30 tires; would like at least 38 wide and a less high pressure tire. I also prefer no fork suspension, which leaves out the Cross Trail and Ariel models. I've almost decided I'll have to choose another frame model and convert from drop bars, a costly modification since shifter/brake levers would also have to be replaced. If only the Sirrus frame would accommodate wider tires. The best we could come up with it is to run a wider, off road, lower pressure tire on the front, since the forks have more tire clearance; the chain stays are strictly 30mm. I like the Specialized Trigger tire for multi-purpose. Any ideas???