Old 02-15-19, 12:32 PM
rutan74

Bikes: Felt ZR3, Specialized Sectur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by h2oxtc
How better to spend a cold winter day than dreaming of a beautiful place to ride. My wife and I are at the beginning stages of planning a trip out east in the fall of this year. Cycling of course is part of the agenda. I'm hoping not to have to choose between Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway, but will be limited at most to one day riding along each. I'm asking those of you who've ridden either or both, if you had to pick a one day's ride, what sections or routes would you pick? Ride length of 30 to 50 miles, with 3,000 to 4,000 ft (max) of climbing is preferred. I know nothing of the areas other than what I'm Googling, and I figure you all to be as good or better source of information. If the consensus is to skip the hills and do the ice cream or coffee ride, I'm good with that too.

Just my 2 cents here. I have ridden the BRP a bit and driven both the BRP and Skyline.

BRP for me, no doubt. Fall is definitely busier but it is not THAT busy. Not to the point of bumper to bumper. Avoid the weekends and it is a few cars passing by but that also depends on the part you ride. Around Asheville is the busiest due to the town and the Biltmore. Lots of visitors that time of the year. We drove the section from Asheville to Mt Mitchell on Columbus day a few years ago and the traffic was not a problem at all. Weekday, so the traffic is much lighter. I would concur that the views are spectacular.

My money is on the BRP and summit Mt Mitchell. If you don't do Mitchell you are missing one hell of a climb if that is your thing. Not to mention the views from the top are amazing in all directions. Two of the 3 highest peaks in the east are there. Mt Mitchell of course being the highest peak in the east.

If you want a sidebar, go to Marion, NC (about 30 miles east of Asheville on I-40) and take route 80 up to the BRP. It is called the Devils Whip. Rt 80 from Marion to the BRP has over 180 turns in the road and is about 11 miles in length. The real money does not start until you pass a church on the left at about 7 miles. After that, you enter hell. Once at the top of 80, there is an onramp to the BRP. Mitchell is 16 miles headed south on the BRP. Total distance from Marion to Mitchell is like 25 miles with about 6,000 feet of climbing. I've done it several times and the ride up 80 and then the last 16 on the BRP to Mitchell are worth the suffering. Once on top of Mitchell, you can SAG it back to Asheville but I have to tell you, that descent off of Mitchell is quite a thrill on a bike.

The climbs around Asheville on the BRP can be quite long. Some go on for over 5 miles but they don't average more than 6%. Getting up ON the BRP is way different. These access roads up to the BRP itself can be quite challenging in and of themselves, case in point, Rt 80 out of Marion.

One last item on the BRP, well a couple. There are few places to stop and refuel on the BRP. On the lower sections you are stuck unless you come down off the highway. So, you have to plan ahead for fuel and water. The Skyline has more "rest areas" where you can at least get water. If you do ride the part from Marion to Mitchell be aware that there are some tunnels that were hand dug a long time ago. The BRP REQUIRES both front and rear lights. The tunnels are not long, but you need to be seen since they are not lit.

The BRP in my opinion is the best cycling road in the country. It has it all and the speed limit is only 40 so the cars are not going that fast or at least they shouldn't be. I have ridden it in the Spring and haven't seen a car for in either direction for over an hour at times.

john