Old 02-16-19, 06:27 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by canuckjgc
I haven't shopped for new wheels in few years. Looking for a new set of hoops for a new Cervelo R2. Training and group rides and the odd event. Rolling terrain in a generally windy area. It's information overload out there on wheels. One thing that is not clear - aerodynamic wheels tested to save X watts at speed compared to what? A traditional box rim with 36 spokes? Not usually even a consideration for a performance bike. When you compare to rounded but shallow rims with aero spokes, don't the benefits diminish fairly quickly? I like these DT Swiss wheels because the 240 hub is quick to engage with 36 ratchet, low drag and you can't overtighten the RWS skewer, and they are just generally good wheels:
https://www.dtswiss.com/en/products/...1400-dicut-21/
Would I really be losing that many watts compared to 32mm or 45mm wheels? Given the endless variations in wind angle, rim shapes, spokes, can it really be said that those wheels with a rounded rim, few and aero spokes are much slower than a deeper alloy rim? I want alloy for braking and cost - not cheaper carbon.
Generally compared to a 32-spoke low-section rim....any good study worth reading will specify.

If you're shopping the $1,000USD wheelset level--you have the choice of all the best hubsets and rims available. 240s are nice, so are Whites, and Onyx, and on and on. Rims--AL33, R90SL, Belgiums to name a few very nice ones.