Old 02-20-19, 09:35 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
A great little ride would be a loop from Blowing Rock. There is a public garage plus public parking on some side streets there. Essentially you’d take Hwy 221 from Blowing Rock to where it connects with the BRP near Grandfather Mountain. You’d then jump on the BRP and head north back to Shulls Mill Rd to Hwy 221 back to Blowing Rock. This would allow you to ride across the Viaduct. The ride on 221 is mostly through wooded areas and generally not too much traffic if it’s not leaf season, but there are some hills. If your wife didn’t want to ride the whole loop she could take Holloway Mtn road to cut the mileage in half.

If if you wanted to add miles you could ride further south on the BRP towards Linville Falls. It’s reasonably flat, at least no long climbs. If you wanted to do a good fun local climb you’d descend Shulls Mill Rd down to Hwy 105 and then climb it back to the BRP. I think you’d enjoy it. Probably 6% and lots of twists and all wooded for about 6 miles.

Lots of restaurants and shops in Blowing Rock and is a good tourist town. Boone is nearby and has lodging and more restaurants. If you opt for that area let me know as my daughter lives there. I can suggest local restaurants that we like when we’re up there.