Old 03-04-19, 12:48 PM
DeceptivelySlow

Bikes: Two wheels; multiple gears

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by sch
A friend spent a lot of time in western NC last fall noted some new harsh chipseal being put on the BRP southern end.
Have any of the prior commenters ridden that part since late October? Sometimes chipseal is a precursor to a better
layer of asphalt but November et seq would not be a good time for asphalt to be laid down. This would be useful to know.
It is similar to chip seal; certainly much rougher (protruding rocks/aggregate) than what has been previously used. I found an article saying they put it on existing surfaces that were in good condition to extend the life of the road surface. They apparently came back and put in a "fog seal" which is another thin layer of liquid asphalt sprayed on the surface. Didn't seem to do much to smooth it from what I have seen. It is not horrible for cycling but a bit of a down grade for sure from the previous smooth surface. Also more vehicle interior noise when driving; don't like it. They have paved a portion of I-40 in NC with something similar but I think slightly smoother than the Parkway surface.

Last edited by DeceptivelySlow; 03-04-19 at 01:00 PM.