Old 07-10-19, 09:28 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
You can read up on what I ended up buying, ymmv. also I'm 135lbs so even with the bike pretty light. I guess it depends on what you're looking for - I am not interested in a fulltime electric bike. I choose to ride leg powered whenever I can and power up for hills and inclines that would hurt my knee, and in nasty ocean headwinds. I've had zero problem climbing 25 degree grades with my drive at a pretty good speed. You can read up on what I have if you want (or not): https://electricbikereview.com/forum...eroller.28504/
If you have any other questions I'd be happy to try to answer. For reference, I previously owned a dedicated electric bike with a hub front motor, had it about a year, maybe a little more, when I first returned to riding after a 20 year absence.
That is a great write-up. I appreciate it. I love hearing of experiences with a light weight build. You have a great setup there!

good to hear they have minimized that RC motor whine. The PAS sounds great. Probably the best Friction Drive example I have seen. Looks like a viable option to a small hub drive, one that works very well for your usage. Good to see bikes that are pedaled like a bike with e-assist (as opposed to converting a bike to an electric mini-bike).

I did a little research on the motor you listed. I agree, for your application, a small 200-350 watt motor can be useful for short ranges on a light bike. I always enjoy seeing light weight builds. Its my passion.

Your build looks like a 250 watt motor that saves 0.5 to 1.1 kg over a small hub motor. It works well on your setup.

I get frustrated with a company like OneMotor specs are a little opaque, and seem to me to be misleading. Maybe I missed something.
https://onemotor.co/indepth/

For instance, the <5lb package has a 130Whr battery, typically 10s1P. That is capable of continuously giving about 4 amps, which puts us at 130 watts continuous. Maybe it can do 8 amps if they are using the best chemistry available. Not exactly a 750 watt motor. It says the top speed is 20mph, which is about 150+ watts on an efficient drop bar bike or 340W on a typical mountain bike. That could be brutal on that little battery – and more practical on their larger battery.

The motor with the small battery would typically be labeled as a 250 watt set up (or whatever the continuous power is), not 750 peak power with a larger battery. With a larger battery, I would guess it as a 350 watt motor as you are not really going to want to pull more than 10 amps continuous on that battery.

Last edited by chas58; 07-10-19 at 09:31 AM.