Old 08-18-19, 07:21 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Giving up on the group rides, focusing on the trainer and trails

I good group ride is fun and can be a great motivator to increase fitness. We have a great group here in town. Some are very fast and fit, including a recreational cyclist who completed the Race Across Wisconsin (228 miles, 4750ft of climbing) with an average speed of 21.5 mph. Most are fit and and complete a 35 mile evening ride at about 17mph if you exclude stops and slower speeds. If I was retired, I'd join this group 3 days a week.

However, I'm enjoying some of the best years of my career and am glad we have all the benefits that come along with that. My career includes business travel, so attending a regular group ride with consistency is impossible. I'm also concerned with safety, most drivers here are considerate of cyclists, but 1% are imbeciles and it only takes one bad driver with me in the wrong place to have a life-altering setback.

So my new plan is 3 or 4 days on the trainer. I'll save my outdoor cycling for gravel trails or larger events with hundreds of cyclist. I'm planning a cycling tour vacation with my daughter in 20 months. That will be my motivation.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 08-18-19 at 07:52 AM.