Old 08-19-19, 04:53 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I've been thinking overnight about your shift in focus for training to indoors from the risk point of view. As you said, it only takes one distracted motorist to change a life forever. But risk is a relative situation. For example, flying in a commercial aircraft is considered safe but compared to what. It is certainly safer than crossing a street on foot but is not entirely risk free, yet we do both. From my own experience, although I work to improve awareness of the situation around me, particularly when cycling, I know my attention span is distracted now and then. I know this because I have been surprised by some situations where if the motorist were equally distracted, that situation may have been dire for me.

Then to, it is not only motorists who present a risk. We can get into trouble on our own by being distracted and failing to either see or recognize in anticipation a developing situation. I've seen four cyclists go down, as JPPE recently did, in a situation that was likely preventable. In the end we accept a level of risk that has little to do with complete objective evaluation. I don't think we set a risk gauge to a particular level. Our best course to to continually evaluate that risk as time passes.