genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
WOW! No need to cuss.

FWIW, I commuted for years in Toronto Canada during rush hour on some very busy streets without any bicycle lanes or other bicycling infrastructure at all. Some of those streets included Eglinton Ave, Bloor Street, Yonge Street and Finch Avenue. Therefore I'd say that I do have experience riding on very busy roads with heavy traffic in rush hour.

Yes, it'd be nice if motorists were tested in a better way. It'd also be nice if motorists paid a heavier price whenever they caused an "accident". It'd also be nice if bicyclists would behave in a predictable manner and obeyed the law as applicable to them. Like I said, my two bicycling accidents were caused not by irresponsible motor vehicle drivers but by irresponsible bicyclists.

Once the testing is done for ANY road user how do they intend to enforce those standards? I see many motorists taking actions that put others at risk and I've see police officers watch that action and do nothing. Is it only when someone gets seriously injured or killed that action will be taken.

We can test from now until doomsday but the thing is that once the tests are passed the motorists (or bicyclists) will revert to their standard behaviour unless there is more enforcement of laws as they pertain to dangerous actions taken by motorists.

Cheers
Yeah, I've heard Toronto can be rough... blame on poutine and transplanted NYC habits.

BC and Calgary are a bit less hostile.

And, as far as drivers... mandatory 5 or 7 year retesting on simulators, that use real world situations and measure reaction times... reduce the DMV lines to first timers, and folks with complicated paperwork.