Old 10-20-19, 09:44 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
WOW! No need to cuss.

FWIW, I commuted for years in Toronto Canada during rush hour on some very busy streets without any bicycle lanes or other bicycling infrastructure at all. Some of those streets included Eglinton Ave, Bloor Street, Yonge Street and Finch Avenue. Therefore I'd say that I do have experience riding on very busy roads with heavy traffic in rush hour.

Yes, it'd be nice if motorists were tested in a better way. It'd also be nice if motorists paid a heavier price whenever they caused an "accident". It'd also be nice if bicyclists would behave in a predictable manner and obeyed the law as applicable to them. Like I said, my two bicycling accidents were caused not by irresponsible motor vehicle drivers but by irresponsible bicyclists.

Once the testing is done for ANY road user how do they intend to enforce those standards? I see many motorists taking actions that put others at risk and I've see police officers watch that action and do nothing. Is it only when someone gets seriously injured or killed that action will be taken.

We can test from now until doomsday but the thing is that once the tests are passed the motorists (or bicyclists) will revert to their standard behaviour unless there is more enforcement of laws as they pertain to dangerous actions taken by motorists.

Cheers
I've never found those driving simulator games to be particularly realistic feeling, although it could be a programming thing. I think some flight training simulators are good, although, again, they may not give an accurate feel for the plane.

The "written" exams are now being done on computer which can include video scenarios. I think the kids have to get something like 80% right, but I do think there should be some "Veto" questions that if they are wrong it is an automatic failure. Things like cross walk questions, safe passing of bicycles, etc.

When I took my driving exam, years ago, I was instructed to pull up behind two kids crossing a moderately busy 3 or 4 lane street on their bikes. I had no idea what to do, so I just sat and waited for them to cross... and didn't fail the test.

They should take statistics on written questions that are frequently failed. On my written exam, there was a question about what to do if another car comes up behind oneself. Speed up, maintain speed, or slow down. I think the actual answer required more situational information than was provided in the question.