View Single Post
Old 01-20-21, 12:49 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
It is my understanding that the women's saddle initially was slightly shorter because decades ago women sometimes wore a skirt or dress on a bike with step through frames. I do not think that is still much of a concern. I can see where a woman on a shorter top tube length bike might also want a shorter saddle so that there is a little more room between the stem and saddle when standing over the top tube.

But I do not think there is any other difference between the S models and standard models. I bought a C-17S because it was on a good sale, cheaper than the non-sale price on the C-17.

I have met a few women that prefer Brooks, but not many.

I think we need to distinguish between the leather Brooks and Cambium Brooks. They are very different.

Most of my bikes have a leather Brooks. I tried two different Cambium saddles, they worked for about 15 miles and that was it for me. One of the Cambium saddle I bought is now on my errand bike, but that mostly just goes to grocery stores within a couple miles of home.

But, I have meet people that like Cambium saddles for long distance brevets, including one woman that regularly rides brevets. So, some people like the a lot better than me.

And both kinds (leather and Cambium) come in models with different widths.

And lots of guys hate leather saddles to.

The B17, I had heard that it was the go to saddle for touring, so I bought a B17. But it does not work that well for me as it was wider and flatter in back than I liked, but the Brooks Pro or Conquest work very well for me. The B17 seems to be better for sitting more upright, I have my B17 on an indoor bike on a trainer. On that I sit up straighter and watch the news on tv. But using the drops on a bike, I need a narrower saddle.

Half a century ago, almost all mid-level and higher bikes had leather saddles. Brooks and Ideale (spell?) were the main brands, I bought a cheaper bike in the 70s that came with a Wright brand saddle that was similar to a leather Brooks. In that era, even all racing bikes had leather saddles on them.

You won't know what works best until you try it.