View Single Post
Old 04-02-21, 06:30 AM
kylecycler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Huh? No way. They're called bike shops. Or maybe LBS for people that frequent them often.

I've never heard the term "cyclery" anywhere, much less the U.S. Actually, never mind, there's Planet Cyclery... so one online shop. Most assuredly not a common term, though.

And yes, bikers are people that ride motorcycles, but people that don't ride bikes often refer to cyclists as bikers, too. Even our LBS has "biker's" in the title.
Yeah, well, I should clarify - now that I think about it, 'LBS' is really only a forum abbreviation and not used in reality, right enough - I'd never refer to a bike shop as an LBS and neither would anyone I know - but trust me, a bike shop on any UK cycling forum is almost invariably referred to as an LBS. Not saying I like it either - it's a bit of a dumb term, tbh.

I didn't know how commonly the word 'cyclery' was used in the US but you'll surely also have heard of Harris Cyclery, Sheldon Brown's old shop? And there's Art's Cyclery on YouTube. I just assumed (wrongly, evidently) that it's a common term, but I think it's a shame it's not adopted more widely, it's an cool word, if maybe a bit too poncy. Can't quite remember but I think I even saw it used over here somewhere just recently, so you never know, it might catch on here if not over your way. But yeah, I get what Reflector Guy explained about it not being a generic term and "I'm taking my bike over to the cyclery for some maintenance" isn't ever going to happen!

And certainly a biker in the UK is always a motorcyclist, never a pedal cyclist - a cyclist over here rides a pedal cycle. And a seat is a saddle in the UK unless you're not a real proper cyclist!