View Single Post
Old 07-16-14, 11:46 PM
CAADRIDER217

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale CAAD10 BBQ Ultegra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Let me preface by saying, sorry this is so long but it you are considering purchasing from this company please take the time to read this.

I just got finished dealing with a messy warranty situation because of Planet Cyclery. I bought one of their Ultegra 6800 groupsets because hey, it was 500 bucks cheaper than everywhere else. Received the package a few days later, everything packed nicely, although not in individual Shimano boxes, but the bags that the components would be packaged in from the factory anyways. Had the parts installed at my trusted LBS and 5 days later a shifter broke mid-ride. I contacted Planet Cyclery using their warranty request page on the website and heard back by the next day. They said that it would be faster for me to go through Shimano using their warranty program. I returned to my LBS to have them take a look at the part to make sure it was in fact broken and to see if they could help contact Shimano. They said they would contact their rep to see what they could do.

The next day I called Planet Cyclery, and actually got a hold of them. I got a hold of someone there who transferred me to another employee as, apparently, I wasn't supposed to be able to contact that person. Hmmmm... The next person I spoke to told me to, again, contact Shimano. I asked why they couldn't handle the warranty themselves, and they said they could not process the warranties themselves, much less accept returns. They also admitted to not being able to guarantee their own products. Luckily, my LBS is close with Shimano and was able to get the warranty processed, but had I known I was buying "gray market" products that can't be warrantied, I would've just gone to performance bike to buy parts as they came available.

Do not buy from Planet Cyclery. The price is very tempting, but the amount of time and stress you will go through if and when something eventually breaks and needs replacement is not worth it.