View Single Post
Old 12-04-05, 12:47 AM
Wavshrdr
Folding bike junkie!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Yes, it will be fun to give them a go. We just received about 6" of light fluffly snow today. I was out cruising for a bit on my Gotham City with the Big Apples on it. Not a real great snow tire but fun anyway. I was creative and used big plastic zip ties as sort of cleats on the tires and they worked pretty darn well (except on ice of course). About every 4" I wrapped a big zip tie around the rim and tire (cross sectionally; not longitudinally) and they worked almost like mini-chains on the tires. I don't know why I didn't think of it early. I rode for about 5 miles and only lost one. Might have been due to how cold it was (+10F). I used the ties that were about .3" wide and put more on the rear than the front as braking wasn't a real issue.

I have an idea to try and stud them for snow without studding my tires. I have some really wide straps that I might be able to "stud" and put them on my tires for the occasional ice that I've encountered. Fortunately its been pretty much snow. The cold is a bummer though. I cut open some plasic bottles and made hand guards similar to what I have on one of my off-road race motorcycles. Again zip ties to the rescue to attach them to the bars. Definitely kept my hands warmer! My ex thought I was crazy and so did my neighbors but what the heck, it was fun and keeps the flab off during the winter.

Can't wait to the Downtubes and try them!