Old 11-11-17, 03:45 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
Probably the very first specialty tool of any kind that I ever purchased, this 40+ year-old tool's present condition belies the vast number of times that it has been used since the mid-1970's.
And, while not very expensive at the time, this Japanese bottom bracket tool has seen use on many, many "hella-stuck" cups and lockrings, assisted by a VBFH on so many of those occasions.
It is a combination of choice material and processing combined with it's just-right dimension details that puts this one at the top of my list for going at it on my latest used-bike find.

And again, while not actually costing anywhere near "too much", this 1-1/2" (38.1mm) 12-point socket turned out to be a superior way to remove and securely set Stronglight fixed bb cups with their shorter octagonal flats.
Without firing up my CAD program, I can't even guess why the exact size of 12-point socket happens to fit so well on the same size (38mm) of octagon, but out of curiosity I located a slightly-smaller 1-7/16" (36.5mm) 12-point socket and it did not fit over the cup.

Last edited by dddd; 11-11-17 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Size details added