Old 09-30-19, 08:12 PM
jideta

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by davei1980
The idea that less rubber on the road results in higher grip is asinine. Ice blocks do not explain the forces at work here, they slip on surfaces because of the layer of water between the ice and the other surface. Rubber doesn't work like this.

Let's look at race cars - do dragsters and F1 cars have relatively wide tires or narrow ones? Not a perfect analogue for bikes but a lot closer than freaking ice blocks.

Wider tires are becoming the norm and the industry will fully embrace these ideas because they're safer and more efficient. You are free to cling just as tightly to your ideas as you wish. It's a free country (for now)
Dude, your theories, or whatever you want to call it, are just that: whatever you want to call it.

You would think that after oh, 120 years or so of Paris Roubaix, if running 2.0 inch tires made them faster and more efficient, everyone would be riding 2.0 inch tires by now.
Hell, they tried everything else.
Alas, no.
The Hour Record has been around even longer and I'm pretty damn sure if wider tires meant faster and more efficient they would have done it by now.
You think tradition or image keeps folks on skinny tires?
I don't see anyone setting records on fat tires.
Money makes the world go round and no one is winning on 38s.
If running wider tires meant faster, the FIRST guys on them would be the PROs.
I don't see no one in the peloton riding 29er tires.
And by the way, F1 tires have actually gotten smaller.
Oh and I might be more open to your theories if you had any actual evidence.

Last edited by jideta; 09-30-19 at 08:19 PM.
Likes For jideta: