davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by aclinjury
I used a block of ice. But the principle would apply to a block of cement or a block of rubber. This is simply a physics principle. I did not make this up.

I'm glad you asked me about F1 and dragsters. The reason why high high performance sports cars use wider and thicker is:
1. to support their weight
2. for longevity

If a dragster were to use a small tire, it would shred the tire in pieces. However, the rubber of these high performance cars are in fact pretty soft at operating temperature. And it's the softness of these tires (ie, high coefficient of friction) that give the tire their grip, not because they are wide. Wideness is for weight support.

I posted a link for formula showing that mechanic grip depends on coefficient of friction and not contact patch. Did you look at that? I reckon you didn't because you keep spewing the same nonsense?

Another way of thinking of it is this. If somehow tire manufacturer is able to construct a carcass in a smaller tire that could support the weight of these cars, then they would use smaller tires for aero and acceleration advantage.

my dude, this is not about any free country, it's about physics, and honestly you're just very ignorant. I'm not to debate with you anymore because there is nothing more I can say if you don't understand 2+2=4!
Thanks for showing you are as clueless about racecars as you are about bikes. They run wide tires for CORNERING TRACTION. Not longevity (they change tires frequently).

And don't worry, you obviously lack the chops to debate with me! The friction equation doesn't control for NUMEROUS variables at work in a tire's interaction with the road in real-life conditions.