View Single Post
Old 09-25-17, 07:03 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
I was up at Big Bear riding with friends this weekend.

Went up a little early on Friday, but got stuck in traffic and wound up fighting daylight. Mr. H shuttled me to the top of the mountain and I rode 7.5 miles of the ridge trail, Sky Line, which I've ridden multiple times before. Great trail, lots of awesome flowy sections. Some rocky bits that are hard for me but I've been riding more of. Was a little cautious though, riding so close to sunset in an area of little cell reception with temps forecast to be in the 20s over night. From the ridge trail, I descended easy single track and fireroads into town. 10 miles/550 ft climbing.

Sat beautiful climbing up some fireroads and single track descending. We got over my head on a trail that was mis-marked as to difficulty level but it was still a fun 15 mile 1500 ft day, rode Sky Line trail in the opposite direction, which is supposed to be harder but I thought in many ways was easier.

Sun we went over to the other side of the lake, which is drier and more open. Less shade but it was cooler out so the temps were ideal. Mostly we rode fireroads (not my choice) which were fine, beautiful area but I'd really rather ride singletrack now- more fun and more skills experience/practice. Open dry pine forest with boulders for the most part with some lush areas. 16 miles/1500 ft climbing

At one point, I was 100% happy, at the end of that single track section, I really like mtb and feel so much more comfortable on the bike. My buzz eventually got completely ruined though. The husband, who has been giving me unsolicited advice on the bike for some time now, just couldn't resist again. I am mostly polite about it, but actually got angry on Sat and got into it with him- he's just trying to push me to do stuff I'm not comfortable doing, or do stuff with the bike that I chose to do differently, because he knows what's "right." Then unbelievably on Sunday, he got into it with me again, just can't be chill with me taking @Racer Ex's advice over his ever, so started in with me again. I just rode off and tried not to interact and was successful for the final 20 min of the ride. When we got back to the cabin, he issued an apology that wasn't much of an apology. He genuinely feels badly that we're in conflict but feels he is right to speak up and instruct me despite me not soliciting his advice or asking for instruction.

Very common experience for women riding with men, it shows the extreme disrespect for women and arrogance of so many men. Its just such BS, I wish it wasn't a thing in cycling. But it is. Such a buzz kill.

Last edited by Heathpack; 09-25-17 at 07:58 AM.