View Single Post
Old 12-30-08, 10:16 PM
footloose

Bikes: Trek FX7.6, Trek Marlin 7, Giant WS Avail 1,Trek 4900 MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[quote=Krystal;8060579]I've done LOTS of short cyclo-touring and cyclo-camping 3 to 5 days out self supported, and short tours. This is all in anticipation of 2011 when my youngest goes to college and I can hit the road long term.

I have a 2006 Trek 520... I also have a 1990 Trek 520

(bike set for a day of cyclo-touring)
I changed up MANY things on this bike for touring and can go into detail if anyone wants to know. This bike is great for paved touring or fire-road type touring. I will not take it to South America though - despite all I've done to it there just isn't enough tire clearance for bigger nobby tires and fenders. (bummer)

I'm interested in what you've changed on this bike to make it more suited for touring. I'm a 5'5" woman with some back and neck problems that make a more upright position easier on my body.

I'm just beginning to look for a road bike that will be suitable for long fitness rides, touring and self-supported centuries. I've been riding a Trek 4900 mountain bike and have been putting more and more road miles on it every year.

Gear wise...I'm already an ultralight backpacker and have the very light and compact tent, bag, stove, water filter, tech clothing etc.

Last edited by footloose; 12-30-08 at 10:33 PM. Reason: spelling