View Single Post
Old 06-14-19, 08:52 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3035 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 94 Posts
Friday 6-14-19 attempting a round trip commute (44 miles) w/o a shower (so I took one at home)

PART A
5:08 am left home 54 degrees
6:31 am 55 degrees broke a spoke & the rear wheel went out of true, 18.11 miles, 29.9 mph max, 14.2 avrg 1:16 in the saddle
(this happened at the top of "the hill" on Andover Rd. Billerica, at approx Pond St & forcing me to stop at the cemetery just after Allen St)
taxi took about an hour to get me but only cost $24 + tip
removed both wheels, they went in the trunk the bike went in the back seat upside down. taxi driver got grease on his hands but not the seat. I tipped him very well
7:45am at office

wash-up & change went really quickly but those frozen DD bacon egg & cheese wraps weren't as good as I remember. forgot to drink my apple juice, oh well
bike shop down the street fixed the wheel for $20., so I "should be" good to go later today ... test ride in parking lot seemed OK

HE REMINDED ME THAT I CAN CALL AAA!!! for a roadside pickup

before leaving I had to make last minute decisions about what to wear & what to bring for the possible scattered rain later. opted for shorts & 1 single long sleeve layer up top & cheap NFL fan gloves. Basecamp helmet w visor flipped up, using safety glasses w take-a-look compact mirror instead. rain jacket, helmet cover & trunk cover rolled up in the trunk, in case I need them later

lunch at the neighborhood pizza shop was A-OK

I like this pre-owned drop bar mirror. makes a nice compliment to the other mirror

got to wait at a cemetery

due to 16 ozs of water & 16 ozs of coffee starting at 3am, took the usual pit stop at approx 11 miles

Last edited by rumrunn6; 06-14-19 at 12:36 PM.