View Single Post
Old 01-05-17, 10:37 AM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
While padding may help if you have pain relate to the contracture, it doesn't do anything for the problem itself. For years it was thought that these were caused by something we did, or environmental factors, the current theory is that it has an underlying genetic cause and will run whatever course is "programmed" regardless of anything we do or don't do.

As I said, I've been living and watching the progress of a contracture in my left hand for 15 years or so. At the time, there were early signs of one in my right hand. The surgeon who would have treated me, said there ws no guaranty that it wouldn't come back, especially since there's family history.
"Current theory"....based on what studies? I will bet there have been none since there is no money in it for a big pharma company.. Most 'genetic' predispositions are triggered by or exacerbated by environmental and behavioural factors. I've watch the progress of the condition in my father and myself. My observation is that heavy lifting is a factor in its progress. Thanks for the pessimism but I'll keep doing my stretching, wearing gloves and taking whatever other common sense steps I can to slow the progress of the condition (especially when recommended by an organization such as the Mayo Clinic).