Bikedud
Sapient

Bikes: Just a bunch of bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Harvieu25
This was my 3rd year doing the Gaps, first year doing 6 though so spent the year building endurance to better suit that ride. I've only done 2 centuries before but not like this. Most of my rides are metrics and less so I was a little concerned. Weather was perfect for me but I like it a little on the warm side. Decided before the ride, two weeks previous in a 6 gap from the rockpile practice ride, that I would stay well below threshold as much as possible, to better handle the second half of the ride. That feels incredibly easy and slow on the first 3 climbs, but pays off once you hit Hogpen. They had a rest stop half way up Hogpen but it was in the middle of the second section, which is the steepest, hardest section on that climb, so you'd be foolish to stop there, I didn't. I planned on stopping at the 38, 66 and 87 mile rest stops for water and pee break and that is what I did. After Hogpen descent I got massive cramps in all the muscles in both legs so had to get off and walk a few minutes while I downed an entire 24oz bottle of electrolyte mix. That help me stay 'just' under the cramp zone for the rest of the ride. Pee'd like a race horse 3 times in during the ride so I don't think my hydration was in question. While staying at my own pace I passed many riders, but was also passed by many as well. I made quick work of the rest stops just to fill bottles and relieve myself, no time for BS'n. I had a goal of 7 hours total time and made in in 6:44:56 so was very pleased.
I've had a fantastic year and this concludes my 3rd year cycling. Looking forward to the next with great anticipation (of what may be) and a little fear (of how do I improve).
Next year let's see if I can break the 6:30 mark.....
Sounds like a well thought out and well executed ride. Well done, especially for only three years of cycling. I definitely like the "below threshold" idea. I tend to fair much better when I pace myself and don't let others influence my pace. I have yet to break seven hours personally, but I could do better by not spending as much time at rest stops. Good luck next year with a sub-6:30 ride time.