View Single Post
Old 04-11-19, 09:41 AM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
Its been cooler this week, but I'm not letting low single digit C temps keep me from riding. Far better weather than other parts of the continent are getting. When its cooler I've been riding my mtb since the saddle height is still at my winter clipless boot height.

I've also been sticking to the city which is reminding me why I don't like riding in the city. Motorists constantly trying to yield their right of way to me while I'm stopped with my foot down, which is more annoying than dangerous since I stay put and wave them past. On a bike you just can't do the same sort of thing a vehicle does without startling the skittish motorists. Rolling out half way and stopping at the median invariably causes a driver to panic and stop in the middle of the road, so I avoid doing it. Where the MUP crosses the road I'll hold back 20 feet from the intersection looking for a clear spot, if I stop at the road drivers will try stopping for me nearly 100% of the time (with trailing vehicles occasionally blowing past the stopped vehicle using the parking lane). I have a bunch of routes that minimize drivers doing this, but for the past month I've been covering all the roads I usually ignore as I wait for warmer weather.