View Single Post
Old 04-13-19, 10:05 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I can definitely relate to your situation. My situation was a little different. I had finished with 4 college tuition's (with 3 going at the same time) that were extremely challenging for us......during that period my wife and I would discuss finances almost weekly to try and figure out how to pay bills from one week to the next. After that period was over we finally got our heads above water and were sailing along rather nicely. My family was so appreciative they supported me doing something for myself. So, I bought a bike that was way more than what I needed but it was one that I'd eye'd for a long time. It was a great decision. For one thing it stopped the "looking at new bikes" and doing the wishful thinking thing. I've had that bike for almost ten years and I still enjoy it as much today as the first day I rode it. It had the first 11 speed drive train that was available so it's still fairly new from a tech standpoint. I did buy the dream bike after the next model year bikes came out so I was able to get the complete dream bike at a greatly reduced price.

I have added another bike since that bike just to get disc brakes on a road bike. I love the disc brakes but will offer that I think the disc brake set up adds a pound or so to really lightweight bikes. But if you can get the new bike with disc brakes and reduce weight from what you are currently riding you have the best of both worlds. You might want to check wheel-set options when you buy your bike. That is the biggest and best improvement you can make. My new disc brake bike came with a 1900 gram wheel-set which is super heavy. I purchased a 1320 gram wheel-set directly from China that has made a world of difference and with performance.

Let us know what you decide!!