Old 01-30-20, 06:37 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
This is the road (Davis Blvd.) SR 84 that the cyclists should have avoided according to the Velonut. I guess he is saying they should just not ride in South Florida. I'm sure they would disagree. I mean ... they live there. Don't they have the right to ride (safely) in the city that they pay taxes in? I mean where the eff else would you ride in Naples, FL. Look at that map and tell me where the eff else 15 cyclists on a group ride are going to ride?! When I drive I do not take my eyes off the road for a second! If my wife hands me something I take it without looking. Anything I have to do I do it without looking anywhere but at the road. I did it without needing to be told but since then I've learned that that is how professional chauffeurs are trained to drive. Interesting insight from following the link to the actual account of the crash in 2018. "A first-time offense is considered a noncriminal traffic infraction, while second offense within five years—if it causes the death of another person—can result in 120 hours of community service, as well as civil penalty fees". Sounds like she received the textbook second offense penalty. Third times the charm I suppose.

Right road, but wrong side of the peninsula. The story states it happened in Davie. Even so, I'm not going to second-guess a choice to ride on a particular road unless it's categorically illegal. The blogger's judgment that riding on a 55 mph road is per se dangerous is just ill-informed.